Saturday, November 21, 2009

Who Am I . . .Where Does My Path Lead . . . .

I am from sharp yellow #2 pencils, corduroy jumpers made from McCall patterns, wool knitted mittens wet with melting snow and stacks and stacks of books to read every week.
I am from summer at the pool, pony tails, roller skates, Schwinn bicycles, and hand-me-down blue jeans.
I am from watching drive-in movies from the back of a station wagon, waffle ball tournaments in the backyard, and perfect attendance in grade school.
I am from girls camp and summer boyfriends and long car trips to the Black Hills, Utah, Texas, Montana, and Minnesota.
I am from the heart of the west, flyover country, a red state with a redder governor. The pledge of allegiance, `you are my sunshine’ and personal prayer every morning.
I am from piano lessons and band concerts and running through the sprinkler in the backyards of neighbors.
I am from hand-cranked, homemade vanilla ice cream, hot dogs and hamburgers on a charcoal grill.
I am from slumber parties and football games and pep rallies and track and field days.I am from petunias planted under bay windows with dew drops clinging to their petals every morning, long clover chains, blowing dandelion seeds to earn a wish, chasing fireflies on summer nights and putting them in a jar so they’d light up my room at bedtime.
I am from a prayer before dinner at six, served by hands that smelled like Jergens lotion.
I am from adult conversations about war and religion and neighbors and bills and politics and dreams and books and work.
I am from warm, honey buttered scones, pot roast after church on Sunday, chili, fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, meat loaf, and apple pie.
I am from tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, green beans with real bacon, tuna and noodle casserole, and spaghetti and meatballs.
I am from telling the truth even when it hurt.
I am from two brunette, both introverted and an extroverted making me something in between.I am from the careful one and the risk taker.
I am from advice like `duck and cover’ and `look both ways’ and `wash your hands’ and `pretty is as pretty does’ and `study hard’ and `work hard’ and `don’t forget to say your prayers tonight.’
I am from God. Protected by angels. And now I know I’m led by His Spirit.From the heart of it all…a place that’s good to be from.
I am from generations who grew their own food, made their own clothes, built their own homes .
I am from the ones I love still living. From a family I was born into, to a family I constructed.
I am from boxes and boxes of photographs, the names and the nameless, of generations past and present that alternately thrill me and haunt me.
I am from other people’s dreams I never shared to living my own.
I am from small successes, big failures, and multitudes of experiences between those two extremes.
I am from guilt that never quite disappears to a hope that no one can steal.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, you took my breath away! You're such a gifted writer. I could relate to a few of those, too. So grateful to call you 'my friend'. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT DID YOU WRITE THAT?, LIKE CHELLE I CAN RELATE TO A FEW OF THOSE THINGS, I ENJOYED TALKING WITH YOU ON SUNDAY FOR A MINUTE WHAT A WONDERFUL PERSON YOU ARE, I HOPE YOU HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING..

    ReplyDelete